I Think my Duck has WORMS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyShat, Apr 23, 2019.

1. DuckyShat

DuckyShat In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2019
    Dandridge TN
    My muscovy drake just stopped - all of a sudden eating yesterday. He drinks a lot of water, I mean (a lot), more than ever. Sometimes moves his head left and right like something bothers him. He seems depressed and don't want to be bother by anyone. He moves his mouth like if he's drinking water when he's not. No cough.

I was checking him out and started to massage his crop in case he had something stuck. Then he vomit yellow- green and also poop diarreah a green- yellow color. I went to change his bedding when I saw 3 small worms. I pick them up with a Q-tip in a piece of toilet paper and they didn't move. My sister saw the head, I did not.

I've never seen worms around here and never thought the need to de-worm my ducks. I've had chickens before, I never had the need to de-worm them either. I've been reading other threads and it seems they're worms. I don't have an avian vet around here. My regular vet can't help either.

I will post a picture of the worms. I need help! My muscovy girls seem ok. Can anyone tell me what to do if in fact it's worms. What type of wormer, how much and where can I get it, I mean online. Do I need a prescription? My ducks have never had the need to be de-worm and they forage and love to eat dirt.

Just went to check Romeo and 2 more worms came out. I need information and I'm afraid I may loose my baby. PLEASE...PLEASE... CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  2. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Hey there, Thats pretty desturbing!

@Miss Lydia posted this about worms and its a quote from a book not her exact words

Screenshot_20190423-225257_Samsung Internet.jpg

I cant find it now but hopefully in the am miss lydia or @casportpony will tell you the meds and dosages! I thaught it was posted in the stickies but i cant find it

shawluvsbirds and DuckyShat like this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC!
    I am on my phone which has a small screen, so can't really see your pictures.

If you want to de-worm him, go to Tractor Supply and get some Safeguard for goats and give 0.23 ml per pound orally for five consecutive days.

4. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    :bow

5. DuckyShat

DuckyShat In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2019
    Dandridge TN
    Thank you.

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. The Dapper Duck

The Dapper Duck Songster

Apr 9, 2019
    Coastal Humboldt, CA
    Search "Ivermectin" on here. There are a lot of threads. It might not be a bad idea to isolate him until he's done passing worms. I have supplemented feed with ground papaya seeds as a preventative. Not sure how it works as a treatment, but they are antihelminthic. If you can find papaya at the supermarket your boy might even just eat the seeds whole if they are attached to the fruit. GNC might carry some papaya seed powder. About a tsp or two per day will be safe and he won't notice it in the food.

quackiemama and DuckyShat like this.
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Okay, I looked closer at your pictures and don't see any worms. :idunno

quackiemama and DuckyShat like this.
  8. Halfpasthen

Halfpasthen Chirping

Jan 29, 2019
    Do you happen to feed meal worms? I have zero duck experience but I had a bearded dragon pass mealworms that were not well digested and they kind of looked like that.

Kkrista123 and DuckyShat like this.
  9. Halfpasthen

Halfpasthen Chirping

Jan 29, 2019
    Do you happen to feed meal worms? I have zero duck experience but I had a bearded dragon pass mealworms that were not well digested and they kind of looked like that.

DuckyShat likes this.
  10. DuckyShat

DuckyShat In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2019
    Dandridge TN
    Thank you. I gree, but I never give them that. Wow! good observation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: