1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my duck is depressed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mirandaS, Sep 30, 2016.

1. mirandaS

mirandaS Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    I had two pekin ducks that I got 3 months ago and a couple weeks ago a raccoon got one and the other one had a little injury.well I ended getting two baby ducks,same breed,hoping they could be buddy up with the loner when they are older. Well the 3 month old lately is not eating as much or drinking. I have them in my house since the weather is not great in ohio,and I give baths everyday. So I think she/he wants to be outside but I swear the food bowl use to get empty faster. What should I do? Can't send her nowhere else to where she would be free. Was the baby ducks a good idea?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry for your loss, but if you introduce your 2 new ones to your older duck slowly they will eventually get to be best buddies. as for this one not eating do you have a secure pen you can put her out into some during the day so she can have some time to roam around a bit and act like a duck? They don't easily get over the loss of a good friend so she may just need to realize that she is really gone and also have some time outside in fresh air and sunshine. How is she looking feathers ruffled? what does her poop look like maybe add some thawed peas to her feed and see if she eats better or moisten her feed with some warm water things like that may entice her to eat.

Welcome to BYC @mirandaS

3. mirandaS

mirandaS Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    Thank you for replying.I do take her out sometime if the weather permits. I thought my pen was secure but I apparently need to fix the lock different since raccoon knows how to open it lol. I did try different food which she has ate sum,I just think she's not happy and wants to be outside, totally understandable. I try my best to keep her clean and I give attention,tho she dint seem to want to be bothered.

4. mirandaS

mirandaS Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    And what did you ask about her feather

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sad for your loss. Fixing the latch is a priority - you can also add an unbreakable mirror to her area - that can really help a lonely duck.

Sounds like you are doing the best you can with the situation. Please keep us posted.

A few days after Michele died, I though we were going to lose Romy . . . I think it was grief.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How does her feather quality look does she walk around with her feathers ruffled up? sometimes that can be a sign she isn't feeling well. How old are your new ducklings? How do they act when all together? has she completely recovered from the attack you sure the wound is healed and nothing going on there?
    Sorry if it sounds like the 3rd degree but just trying to help you figure out what is going on and if we can help. [​IMG]

Amiga's idea of a non breakable mirror is a great idea too unless you can put your 2 new ones close by her so she has company even if they can't be touching yet.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. mirandaS

mirandaS Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    Her feathers look good to me,very smooth and sleek.Her wound looks good almost healed.i got the babies a week ago so they could be almost 3 wks old.They all act scared when I put together and I do sit them by each other in totes.the big one has jumped out to see them though

8. mirandaS

mirandaS Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    And the questions are great. I've studied up on the ducks but sometimes the internet isn't always right

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Three weeks of age is a time that many ducklings develop a fear response to things in their environment, even things that did not used to bother them.

Patience, patience, treats, and spend time near them, not looming over them, and always announce your arrival before they can see you so you don't startle them.

They don't like being cornered, either.

I hope the totes are really big!

10. mirandaS

mirandaS Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    Thank you,it really helps, the totes are the really big ones,really long . I put the big duck outside today she's really enjoying it

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by