I think my duck is dying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stac2277, Jun 27, 2016.

1. stac2277

stac2277 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    I thought he had impacted crop, but I can't feel anything in there. Then today, when I checked it, it felt like a water ballon. So I leaned him forward and he threw up a ton of liquid, coconut oil and peas. I gave him some oil this morning thinking that might help. He's been getting worse through the day. Walks like he's drunk, and it shaky. He also can't make any noise. He used to peep, but now he opens his mouth and no sound cones out. The only thing he'll eat is watermelon. Won't touch his food. I cooked him some plain oatmeal and put a few raspberries in, but he wouldn't eat it. I think he's wasting away.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

if he really that miserable then sad to say but you should just cull him and end his suffering.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The impaction could be lower down. Can you get him to a vet?

4. stac2277

May 8, 2016
    I'm still trying to find one. I've been messaging a duck farmer in the area to see if she can help or know where I can take him. The vets around me won't deal with ducks:( when you say lower down do you mean his intestines? I don't feel anything at all anywhere. I've been squeezing the poor guy for several days now, and there doesn't seem to be anything there, although he looks just like the pics I've seen of it. He's only 10 weeks old. He hatched without absorbing his egg sac. He was a right mess. I was told to just put him in the freezer because he'd never make it, but he pulled through. Then he had straddle legs that we braced for him, and they got better also. We call him Tiny Tim. I've got 2 other Pekings that hatched the same time that are way bigger then him. He seemed healthy just didn't grow properly. Then a few days ago I started noticing that his crop was getting bigger. It always was quite big. And he became weak and wobbly. I know he wants to live, he's already survived a lot.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Keep giving him TLC . . . perhaps some vitamins with probiotics and electrolytes might help some . . . wish we could see inside where the problems are.

6. stac2277

May 8, 2016
    The farmer thinks it's pendoulas crop and that I should put him down. I heartbroken. Had no idea I'd get this attached to a duck:(

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @stac2277

Is the duckling still alive?

9. stac2277

May 8, 2016
    Yes. We brought him inside yesterday. Gave him a warm bath in Epsom salt, and that popped him up a bit. Also ground up his food with water and put prebiotic on it. He ate quite a bit. He's still very weak though. Gonna keep him inside for awhile.

10. lalab007

lalab007 New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    My duck stopped eating yesterday, he stayed in his pool all day which isn't unusual but the not eating part is, I even tried to give him tomato and banana which he loves. I made him come out of the pool and he seemed a little wobbly, I have 2 hens that he adores and normally follows around the yard but he kind of laid by them in the grass. This morning he seemed to walk around the yard more and he is drinking from his pool which I cleaned out yesterday but still didn't want anything to do with food. I am very worried but I tend to panic when it comes to my pets, I rescued you 5 or 6 years ago and I love him very much does anyone have any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by