I think my egg turner has been stuck for days . . . oh no!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jul 9, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have an automatic egg turner and it is now day #11 and I don't think my eggs have been turning at all. It moves so slowly that I just didn't notice that it has been in the same position every time I have checked.

Is there any hope? Should I toss them all? Is it a guarantee that they will be deformed or might they turn out Ok??

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    That happend to me before too! I had a very bad hatch..
    I wont use a turner now... i hand turn.

3. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    I definitely would not toss them... I would go ahead and remove them from the turner so that you can hand turn at least a few times a day. I also had a turner go bad for an undetermined number of days a couple years ago... and went on to have a good hatch.

4. SweetMotherOfMars

SweetMotherOfMars Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    The Palouse
    [​IMG] Hope it was just the last few days, Sport. If so you should be fine.
    Keep us posted!

5. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I don't know how many days it's been stuck. At least I've candle more this time than I did last time, but not 3 times a day! I figured out the problem and fixed it, but I had one dead egg today which I opened and the embryo looked Ok but I don't know how to know if it was stuck or not. It had been dead for several days but I was waiting to be sure.

Will the chicks die before hatching or will they be deformed and born and have to be culled?? I guess I am hoping for the former.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would not give up hope. Keep going and candle in a few days to look for further development.

The reason you turn the eggs is that the yolk or embryo will settle and touch the sides of the shell. When it does that it sticks to the inside of the shell and dries out. If they stick that early I doubt they will survive hatching. Probably won't develop that far. And if they are stuck, they cannot rotate for hatching. If you do have some having trouble hatching, I would not help.

I have seen posts on here where people say the first few days are the most important for turning eggs. Until someone can explain why, I don't believe it. The chalaza are springs inside the egg that act as springs to keep the yolk and young developing embryo centered in the egg. The older the chalaza get, the more they stretch. The older the embryo gets the bigger it gets so it is closer to the egg shell and doesn't have as far to go to get stuck or dry out. I think the later in incubation you get the more important the turning is until you get to lockdown. Then the embryo is so big it is going to touch the sides no matter what you do so you quit turning and increase the humidity so it doesn't dry out.

The turner not working is not a good thing but I would not give up hope. Wish you luck!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I agree with Ridgerunner, don't give up! Happy hatching!

8. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks everyone. That is a good suggestion not to help if they seem to be having trouble. I have 3 BCM in there however, and last time one died because I decided not to help. If it is deformed will it be able to pip and zip and then get stuck in it's shell. It would be pretty hard not to help a bit at that point.

Is there anyway to tell by candling now if the embryo is stuck? I keep trying to see if I can see the eye move from one side to the other and I can't convince myself either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by