I think my favorite chick is a roo!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Jun 12, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am so bummed. We had a staggered hatch. I have one chick that was born 2 days after the first, it was #5 (#4 didn't make it, there are 9 total live) and it is the prettiest. It has a very bright yellow tint to the underside and highlights in it's face, and the rest is a silvery grey color. I am really hoping it's just a sassy hen [​IMG] . It is the first to come check me out, it stands tallest, and even though a little younger than #1 it seems a little bigger . When I open the brooder only 2 even think about coming over, that one and the first born, which I also am thinking roo. They aren't even 2 weeks old yet. I am going to be so disappointed if it's a roo cuz I can't have a roo [​IMG] . They are mutts so I have made sure not to get too attatched cuz I know the chance of placing roos are slim and they will probably end up as food, but I really like that one. [​IMG] .
    Krista

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Should be able to tell in about 2 weeks, before then you're only guessing, unless you're a whole lot more talented sexer than I. In two weeks, the roos will have red combs starting, while the hens have orangish combs.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Good to know, guess we will wait and see.
    Thanks
    Krista

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Being bossy or assertive is not necessarily a sign of a roo. Pullets can be just as bossy and assertive.

5. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I had a chick that at 1 day old was the same way. When I took photos, the others would jump, squawk, and run from the flash...this chick charged it. I was SURE it was going to be a rooster...but it turned out to be a hen.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    How about growth? It was born 2 days later than the first and seems to be a bit bigger, when does size come into play? Does it not come into play because they are mixed and some will take on more of the mom or dads attributes? Thanks!

Krista

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    First off, let me tell you that while my light brahma roo is amongst the largest of my 18, my dark brahma roo is not. My largest chick (at 9 weeks) is indeed a pullet.
    Also, I am by no means an expert. But using the following criteria I was able to correctly identify my roos at age 5 weeks. At 6 weeks they proved me right and I found a home for my extra roos.
    The comb of the cockerel will be pinker/redder and larger. Any wattle development will be more advanced in the cockerels as well.
    My cockerels tails come to more of a point than the pullets. Then and now the pullets had tail feathers that were wider at the very end.
    The pullets will have more advanced feathering than the cockerels; especially across the wing bows.
    I've heard that another hint is that the cockerels have sturdier, thicker legs than the pullets; but as I'm raising a heavy breed all of mine have some pretty sturdy legs.
    Good luck!

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Size does not come in to play yet as they get a little older you will notice the Roosters have thicker legs and are taller and are somewhat bigger. Most of the time you can tell by comb color at an early age which sex you have. However, if you have Amercuana/EE they take longer to develop and what you may think is a Roo may really be a Hen. Make sure you know what you have before you decide to keep or get rid of any. Looks can be deceiving for awhile.

Good luck with them

9. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Quote:I totally agree with you! especially when comparing the same breed.

When it comes to personality it really varies. Ese and Gracie are geminis and I had joked about this when they were young. They went through so many different stages...most of which pointed to gracie being the male...then suddenly the testosterone hit and Ese became the beautifully handsome hardworking man he is! Fortunately I could keep him!

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by