I think my girls are DUDS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbounds10, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    21 weeks old today and NOTHING! The suspense is killing me!

I am sure I will get nothing but....is there anything that helps get them started?
    They are kept as cool as I can get them with water, food, misters, fans, frozen jugs
    Treats of frozen fruit and veg every day cause of the heat
    Free range for about an hour a day with supervision because of the hawks (had one sitting in the tree last night while I was out there)

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    What breeds do you have?
    I have some of the Tetra Tints from TSC that I got 3/11 and they are already laying pretty steady.
    I was really surprised when I found the first egg on 7/12.
    I was expecting the usual 20 week wait. I did have some RSLs last year that took FOREVER.
    Well past the usual, but they are still egg laying machines a year later even in this heat.

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Patience young grasshopper.

What breeds do you have?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Your likely to get some responses for hot pepper or some other things I don't have much faith in. I think when they are ready, they are ready and will lay. I never saw where you mentioned breed. That can make a difference. And that extreme heat can play a part. I'm getting a few less eggs than I should be getting this time if year. Today's record high is 102. The prediction is 106. It is not a normal year.

If I have ten dual purpose pullets, I usually get my first egg somewhere aroung 18 to 20 weeks, 20 probably being closer to normal. By 23 to 24 weeks, half of them are usually laying. By 27 to 28 weeks, they are usually all laying, although some can take a lot longer.

I seriously doubt you are doing anything wrong. You may have just got the last six of my ten pullets. It is just luck which ones you get. If they are normal dual purpose chickens, I expect you will be getting eggs real soon.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    As hard as the wait is, 21 weeks is still on the early end. Don't despair [​IMG]

6. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    I am also waiting the long wait here. I have 3 chickens, a barred rock, a black sexlink and a columbian....the coloumbian has full crown and waddles in...nice and read...thinking she might be ready but so far...nothing... [​IMG]

They free range our yard all day long...but its been terrifically hot here this summer. We got them march 29th so they are 16-17 weeks old-ish? We check everywhere...the nesting boxes .. under the favourite shrub....any chair they go sit in ...LOL

C'mon Girls!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 EE's and 2 Buff Brahmas. My Bar rocks have big red wattles and have been squatting for 2 weeks.

My BR's are the only ones with large red combs. Here they are, I took this today:

Penny and Wilma
    [​IMG]

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Please be patient, they will lay when their bodies are mature enough to lay. I had Ameraucana pullets that didn't start laying until after they were 30 weeks old last year. Count it as a mixed blessing since it seems like the pullets that start laying really early are the ones most likely to have internal laying problems. It will be soon. [​IMG]

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

The buffs will take some time being a large breeds take more time to mature. Should be soon, hold tight. [​IMG]

10. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Those BRs look like they're going to be soon -- hang in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by