I think my Girls are getting too many Treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jomoncon, Nov 17, 2010.

1. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm a new chickie owner & I've had my 8 5-weeks old RIR chicks for 3 weeks and I think I'm in love!! I just love sitting & watching them do all their chicken stuff, and I really like giving them treats & watching them chow down. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if they are getting too many treats. Yesterday, they were given: 4 large broccoli leaf, 2 earthworms, the crusts from 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 12 live crickets, about 20 mealy worms, a couple of handful of weeds, and a green bean plant.

It's just so much fun to hand feed them these treats, but I think I just might be overdoing it. They are eating more 1 cup of Purina Start & Grow a day. What's your opinions on my treats?

Enjoying a piece of French Bread:
    [​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Awww so cute! [​IMG]
    hold of much bread,or starch, it can make them too fat, esp. when they begin to lay. But you are doing great in giving them a varied diet;what lucky chicks! [​IMG]

3. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    That reminds me, I need to go to the pizza place downtown today. They bake bread daily to sell and the three day old stuff is really cheap and great for the chickies!!!!

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I also go to the day-old bread store to get cheap bread - for dog food. One of my dogs was recently diagnosed with kidney failure & was put on a low protein diet that mainly consists of rice & bread with very little meat. Since she's been on this diet, she's doing so much better and has regained her weight & energy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by