I think my hen died from being egg bound?maybe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cat1994, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So this morning from what I could tell was all my hens were ok up and eating and drinking. But I just went out and found my oldest hen dead in the nest box. I'm pretty down in the dumps about it but I think I know what happed and that makes me feel a little better I guess. I got her out of the nest box and looked her over to try and figure out what happed, her vent looked weird like some of her insides had been pushed out while she was trying to lay an egg. Is this the same as being egg bound or is this called something else. My dad grew up around chickens and called it a prolapse and said they called it a blow out?! Does anyone know more about it this stuff it is the first time I’v ever had any problems with my hens.

2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    The very same think happened to me last week. I thought it might be an eggbound problem and maybe it was but my hens comb was a bit pale and slightly swollen and after researching it I think she may have died from Fatty Liver Syndrome. This is the result of her eating too much high energy food it says because she was in her prime of egg laying. The others are ok, but I have cut down on the high calorie snacks like peanuts(which seem to pose another problem.)
    It was my first death and very sad.
    So sorry for your loss.............

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm sorry for your loss also. I lost my first hen to being egg-bound several weeks ago. I didn't know that was what it was at the time. She didn't have any parts outside her vent like you described. She laid two HUGE double-yolked eggs, & then she died. Only about 7 months old.

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    It seems like chickens fare as badly as human women when it comes to child bearing--not that I would know since I've never given birth, but seems pretty dangerous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by