1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my hen has alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1WildHairL8tr, May 4, 2009.

1. 1WildHairL8tr

1WildHairL8tr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My hen has seemingly forgotten how to jump off the roost! She is 1 1/2 years old. This is the same coop, the same roost and the same chicken family she's been with for all that time.
    I noticed this over a week ago.
    My DH or I have to go out there every morning and herd her off the roost. She's always on the top -- which is about 4 1/2 feet high, she hops to the middle level and then squaks and flies to the floor, bypassing the lower level.
    The first time I noticed her through the coop's window, it was late afternoon!
    She hadn't eaten or had anything to drink since about 8pm the night before!
    Could she really have just 'forgotten'?
    No other weird behaviors.
    Weird!!
    Cathi B.

2. rw1647

rw1647 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Bremerton, WA
    maybe she hurt or scared herself jumping down at some point and now associates that level with something bad? I know my dog (the not-so-bright one) will do that. The baby gate we use to keep her downstairs during the day accidentally fell on her a few weeks ago and it took her days to even walk past it. maybe try treats to coax her down? hopefully she'll just get over it...

3. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You know, I thought the same thing.
    I checked her feet and they look just fine. No other injuries on her body.
    She's usually a bossy one -- I wonder if someone bossed her back! You know the biggest bullies are usually the biggest chickens. HA![​IMG] Pun intended.
    I really am worried about her.
    I know I'll always be here to be sure she gets down... but I'm fighting some memory loss myself, I'm worried I'LL forget!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd offer a lower roost, perhaps lower for all the hens, or access to a ramp engineered somehow. Soft landing pad, like a bale of hay. She's peopably okay going up but terrified of the pain of flying down.

5. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks, Lynn.
    They do have two lower roosts and the bottom is covered in a thick layer of shavings.
    She, and all of the others, fight to get onto the top roost.
    Should I worry about it? Should I post this is the "diseases" section?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by