1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my hen is a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Julic, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Speckles, a beautiful Dominique named and given to me by my Grand girls over the summer. I am new to chickens (just a year now) and including Speckles, I only have 3 chickens (getting more in the spring). She was a pullet when they brought her and the people on the side of the road that they bought her from said she was a girl (red flag red flag) [​IMG]
    I have had her since June and she was about 2 months then which makes her about 8 months. She has since out grown the other two hens. Still has not laid an egg. She was VERY submissive at first but recently is getting more aggressive with the dominant hen. Then two days ago she was attacking my RIR which has been her best buddy since the beginning. Non stop trying to peck her eyes out. No matter how hard the RIR ran and coward, she was determined to get those eyes. The RIR Comb a bloody mess and thanks to the Lord that I was out there at the time I grabbed Speckles up and separated her from the other two. She is now quarantined to the small coop. That comb, wattle, and those tail feathers ....hmmm? I am just not experienced enough to know for sure. NO crowing though.
    Please help and let me know what you think. Roo or not. I really never wanted a roo and I cant have her attacking my egg layers.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Cockerel, no doubt.

1 person likes this.
  3. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks. Bummer.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It's a barred Rock cockerel. Dominiques have rose combs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    All rooster. Sorry about him being all aggressive, really is a bummer.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X4 you've got a Barred Rock Cockerel, sorry he is getting nasty with everybody, hate it when you wind up with a surprise roo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Well thanks! Again, newbie and the people on the side of the road said Dominique. Learning every day. Are Barred Rock more temperamental then Dominique? I read about personalities and Dominique was supposed to be so mellow. That is why the new found aggression surprised me so.

8. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Never mind. I just did some research on Barred Rock and they sound like great personality. Guess Speckles is just being mean. So So disappointing. Love this website, I learned not one but two things today. Thanks again.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Any breed can potentially be a problem but this age is the worst, when they are at the peak of the hormones hitting. Think teenage boy at this point. Many of them settle down with time. At this point what I am hearing is that the aggression is directed towards the hens rather than the people, and while no aggression is desirable, this I wouldn't worry about as much, as it is something he will grow out of, as he matures into his role and learns to woo them instead of using aggression to get what he wants. If he were aggressive towards people I'd recommend immediately turning him into stew as in my experience, a rooster that is aggressive towards people almost never gives that up.

1 person likes this.
  10. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    HEChicken, Good info and thanks. I love the analogy and get it now. I had a hormonal teenage boy once (now a man). Speckles is certainly not aggressive with people. Actually timid with most accept me, he comes running and making little noises at me when he sees me because I am the treat lady. I am fond of him and hate the idea of him ending up in the stew pot so it is good to hear that he will probably calm down. I might try to keep him separate until he gets a little older if I cant give him away. It just really scared me. I thought he was going to peck my RIR eyes out. He would not stop chasing her down trying to peck at her eyes for about 5-10 minutes until I couldn't take it anymore. You know, I was trying to watch and let nature work itself out but he was relentless....her comb is covered in sores and dried blood now. She is my only layer out of the two hens and I sure don't want him hurting her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by