I think my hen is laying an egg in the garden

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kellswan, Sep 8, 2010.

1. kellswan

kellswan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    she has been sitting in the same spot all morning and thats unusual for her, she hasn't started laying untill now, should i move her?to her coop? how long does it take to lay an egg? and i'm wondering about tonight, if she's in the garden, she wont be safe from preditors. any suggestions??? [​IMG]

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! How old is she? How long has she been sitting? Is she pulling stuff in around her like to make a little nest?
    Mine have just all started laying and sometimes they sit for a while, but usually not more than 1/2 an hour, and they keep "making" the nest while they sit. Then they gaze off and lay an egg, turn around and look at it like "hey, where did that come from?" and then run off squawking to join the others. I would definitely move her tonight if she hasn't moved yet! Do you have nest boxes? You may be able to settle her into one of those. Good luck!

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    "All Morning". That is very unusual even if she was laying an egg. Have you tried to move or pick her up? I would pick her up to see if she is OK. Don't leave her out all night.

4. kellswan

kellswan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    she is about 18 weeks old, I just went out to check on her and she seems to be fine , she did get up to say "Hi" to me, and there was no egg there, i guess she's just hanging out in that spot today thank you ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by