I think my Hen is sick! Please Help ! she is just sleeping and wont open one eye ! have pics.. Pleas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandrameissnest, Apr 6, 2012.

1. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    hello,
    i think its an Austrolop i have just one of this kind-
    she is being really wierd.. she is just standing there or sleeping... she wont open her left eye...
    sometimes she does it for a couple of sec. but then she closes that one again....
    is it the breed? or is she sick ... please help what to do.. they other chickens are all running around. exept her.
    when i give them food. she eats it .. oh i forgot she is also super scared of me... i cant touch her. not like the other once.
    but then goes back to her bad habbit,
    thanks for your help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

No, that's certainly not normal. And there's almost no comb on this bird - how old is she???
    Without more info., it's really hard to offer you advice. Have you closely inspected her for parasites? A heavy infestation can seriously weaken a bird. Have they ever been wormed? Once again, a heavy infestation can really weaken a bird and open them up to infections.
    You can try an antibiotic like Tylan 50, but if parasites are involved, then it might be pointless unless you get rid of those first...
    More info. would really be helpful.

3. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Agreed.. more info and where is the comb? The wattles seem very pale, is she getting enough calcium??

4. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    i got her the end of january and she was 1 -2 weeks old then.so that means she is about 3 month old.
    she gets cracked corn , pallets, sunflower, other mixed chicken food,
    i give them yogurt, strawberries, letters, melon,
    what else should i do?
    i have not seen anything in the poop.. it looks all normal .
    the other once what are as old as she is are fine.
    just she was always more sleeping then the others...
    what should i give her to eat >

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    She should still be either on starter feed or something like Flock Raiser until she is about to lay, usually at 18 weeks. Then switch to a layer feed or you can keep on Flock Raiser and add oyster shell for the calcium. Do not give calcium until 18 weeks though.

I would separate her and keep her warm for one thing. You can feed her either some Poultry Drench which has amino acids and vitamins, minerals that'll help boost her immune system or use the Poly Vi Sol infant vitamins WITHOUT iron 2 to 3 times a day for at least a week, then taper off after that.
    Look for any difficulties in breathing or runny nose, eyes etc.
    If she has any of those, she may need antibiotics.

Try feeding her by hand and making sure she's getting water frequently. Scrambled eggs, yogurt are good for this, you can also mix yogurt into cooked oatmeal.

6. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    hi,
    thanks !
    where do i get the poultry drench ???
    I'm in FL so its super hot now ! even at night.
    today she eat a lot also she was drinking plenty. since I'm watching her .
    no runny nose no hard breathing. i just posted a new thread with more pictures of her.
    is it normal that she don't have no comb at this time?
    my other once ( different breed ) has some like a very small one )
    but this one has none.
    thanks for your help.
    Sandra

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You can most likely get the poultry drench or electrolites at a local feed store. Do you guys have tractor supply down there??? Or something similar??? If she's three months, I doubt she's an australorp, as mine had a very distinct comb at that age. Your girl must be going to have a pea comb or something- maybe a beardless EE or something???
    Did you check her over very closely (her skin and feather shafts near her vent and under her wing areas) for mites or lice to eliminate that possibility???

8. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Poultry Drench is available at feed stores or online at most places that sell poultry items.
    I got mine at Jeffers. I usually take a dropperful and put it on bread and then make balls out of that to give it to them. They almost always gobble it down immediately. If not, I have just used the dropper to put it along their beak and then they'll take it that way. It's really perked them up fast!
    Sorry I didn't answer.....I rarely get updates to subscribed to threads until wayyyyyyyyyy after they've been posted!
    Thanks to teach1 for helping!!!!!!!!

Heat can get to them too, make sure there's plenty of air circulation and she's not over heating.

9. tamtam84

tamtam84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    SE Missouri
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your hen? I have a hen who was totally normal at 6 am this morning then when I checked on her at 9:30 she was looking just like this. Won't open her left eye and head is drooped just like your hen. She just stands there and isn't moving much.

10. Battlechicken

Battlechicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Yeah me too! just noticed it this morning. Won't open one eye but the eye looks normal. she is kind of just sitting around...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by