I think my hen is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brandichick, Mar 12, 2017.

1. brandichick

brandichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2014
    California
    Hello everyone, I noticed a few days ago that one of my hens seemed to be breathing with her mouth open, as if she was taking little sips of air. Fast forward a few days and she is still doing it, she also has runny poo and her behavior is changing (not acting her normal self) letting me approach and pick her up a lot easier than before and last night she didn't seem to want to get up on the perch to sleep. Now I am getting very worried.

Does this sounds familiar to anyone? I decided to separate her from the others, I brought her inside for the evening. I am going to try making sure she eats enough and drinks plenty and call the vet tomorrow.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

She is 3 yrs old. I have 2 other birds and they both seem 100%.

Thank you.

Gaynor

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Is it very hot where you are located? runny poop and panting can be signs of being overheated. The perching thing has me stumped though. If it is simply her being too hot, when she is inside in air conditioning, she should get well soon. Keep us posted, and I hope she feels better.
    -M

3. brandichick

May 24, 2014
    California
    Thanks for your reply. It is not very hot here right now, past 3 days were in the 70's. It's going to cool off now so I will watch her to see if she changes. Since I brought her inside, she has had some food and water, which I'm hoping is a good sign. I'll keep checking in on her.

4. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Ok, good luck and keep us posted!

5. brandichick

May 24, 2014
    California
    Ok, so I took her to the vet yesterday and she was very sick! She was in severe respiratory distress, they immediately gave her oxygen, and long story short, drained 2 cups of fluid from her abdomen!! They think she has cancer of the reproductive organs, the fluid is being tested. If it is cancer, they would treat her with an implant that would shrink her reproductive organs and shut down her egg cycle. Poor little thing was really suffering and it took me a while to figure it out, I feel bad, but she is breathing normally again now and I'm watching her closely, keeping her indoors, in a crate and feeding her as much as she wants (she had also lost a lot of weight).

6. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Oh no!!! I hope she feels better :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by