I think my hen is unhappy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newbie100, Aug 10, 2014.

1. newbie100

newbie100 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Hi I had 2 hens and a few months back one got broody so I put 8 eggs under heras that's what the guy I got the eggs suggested, anyway out of the 8 7 hatched but 2 died within the first week so left 5, out of the 5 we had 2 cocks, now everything has been fine with them all living together and the neighbours haven't yet moaned and the noice 2 cocks make and I quite like it to be fair, but for the last few days the hen that hatched them seems to be a little stressed out to me, she keeps following me around the garden and what seems to me as moaning, she has always been a vocal girl but she is getting worse, and not sure really what I'm ment to do, do I separate the younge and old? Or get rid of the 2 cocks? Any suggestions would be great, thank you

2. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    you should give her some toys she may just be bored try hanging fruits and vegetables or making her sandwiches (they love them) or you could give her more eggs
    good luck with her

3. newbie100

May 29, 2014
    They have the hole garden to roam with plenty of things to play with but they tend to keep quite close to the pen, could it be the cocks stressing her out? With the sandwich are you winding me up? Or will a ham and cucumber sandwich really cheer her up!!!!

4. fleedo

Nov 23, 2012
    with the sandwich i just mean bread and veggies mine will tear it up in under 2 minutes! and yes the rooster may be stressing her or she could have had a scare from some kind of predator try watching her and how she acts with the other chickens (she may just want attention like a child) it may even be worth tacking her inside with you so she can play

5. newbie100

May 29, 2014
    I have another coop, I might just separate the young and old and see if she cheers up a bit

6. newbie100

May 29, 2014
    How bloody bizarre, I sat in the garden with her for about an hour wondering what to do, then she started just walking around and around the coop, she finally went in so I shut the door for a bit thinking she just fancied a bit of time on her own, so the rest of them stayed outside and I had a word with them saying sometimes a woman needs a bit of space (so my mrs keeps telling me!!!) 10 minits later I opens the door she came out with a big grin on her face and sitting there was her first egg since getting broody!!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. fleedo

Nov 23, 2012
    that is great you should separate them and see if that helps her

is it very hot near you'r place that could be it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by