I think my hen may be going broody need advice!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amarisus, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    So I have a little frizzled cochin who's been sitting in the same spot for some time now, when she gets up theres usually nothing under her. Last night I didn't get home till late so when I went to collect eggs she was in the same spot and when anything got near her she growls and tries to bite it. But she still gets up every now and then and walks around but she mostly sits in that one spot. She's still pretty young not even a year is it possible for her to go broody so soon? And if she is broody I wanted to get a couple of day old chicks for her. How do I go about doing that? do I have to wait and let her be broody for a certain amount of time or can I just put them under her after a couple of days? Does she have to have eggs under her for it to work or can I just put them under her with nothing there? Sorry for so many questions [​IMG] I'm new to the broody hen thing [​IMG] Any help would be much appriciated Thanks [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, sounds broody. No, she's not too young. My first broody was 7 months old when she raised chicks.

Chickens can't count. Leave her on the nest long enough to make sure she's serious, like a week. (which it sounds like she is) Then you can try slipping chicks (as close to a day old as possible) under her at night. There's no guarantee she'll accept them, but it's likely since she's a cochin. No eggs necessary, being broody is a hormonal change.

3. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Thanks so much! I'm gonna keep an eye on her for a few more days and go from there. I'm hoping she is broody and will be a good mom [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by