i think my hen went broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moorechicks, May 20, 2010.

1. moorechicks

moorechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Carthage,Tx
    Today my DH went out to collect the eggs, And our Blue Silkie was in there and he tried to get the eggs and she pecked him. Well she hasnt got out all day and also peck my DD when she went out. Does this mean she is setting? I have never had my own setting hen. Any info would be great. Thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you have a broody! If she stays on the nest through the night, you're good to go!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It does sound like she is broody. Take a look to see if she has a balding breast. If she makes a loud squawking noise when you lift her, likelihood is that she is broody. If so, do you want chicks? If so, fertile eggs under her, if not, take her off the 'nest' and, if disrupting her sitting doesn't stop it, then place her in a dog crate or similar for a few days to break the broodiness,
    Good luck,
    Sandie

4. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Sounds like a broody. Congrats [​IMG]
    just what pgpoultry says, want chicks? Hatch. Don't want chicks? Break broody
    I would go for hatching chicks especially if you have kids, it is a great experience!

5. moorechicks

moorechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Carthage,Tx
    ok 2 days later and she is still there.[​IMG] yes chicks are fine and that will be great for the kids to see also instead of the bator. The thing now I have a question about is it start out with a couple eggs under her but the other hens have laid and we just check and its up to 6. This would mean they will be spread out which comes my question. How does that work will she keep laying till all hatched? Do we need to mark them some how to know? Any info will be great.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chances are it's the other hens adding to her clutch. (they don't lay when broody) You can mark the eggs with a sharpie or pencil and remove the unmarked eggs daily. Or you can separate her.

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My broody made Godzilla like noises every time I looked at her.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by