1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my hens are roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ras719, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ras719

ras719 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    I bought 8 chicks at the local feed store, the owner of the store said he bought only hens to resell there would be no roosters. Well long story short definitely one rooster, now another one is starting to crow so can someone please tell me if these are hens or roosters. I had really wanted buff orp. hens my husband and daughter wanted rhode is. red and black star (sexlink) I am posting pics of all of them please tell me which if any is a hen.[​IMG]

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    How old are they??? Pics will help better.

3. ras719

Jun 24, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first definitely a rooster, second image I think is a hen, third pic started crowing today, first black star I think is a rooster but doesn't look like the pics I have seen online so maybe a hen? Next black one I think is a hen and finally the last buff can't tell what she/he is doesn't crow but looks like the other that started crowing today(behind it also in first picture) anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated, if they are roosters, anyone want to trade for buff hens?

4. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    1-roo
    2-hen to me
    3-roo
    4-iffy on I think maybe hen
    5-looks like hen
    6-both are roos I think

Sorry about your luck, I've been there many times. Now I breed my own and can't get mad if we end up with roos, bc I'm not paying for them and told they are hens.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    1. Rooster
    2. Hen
    3. Rooster
    4. Hen
    5. Hen
    6. Both Roosters

Very pretty though. [​IMG]

6. ras719

Jun 24, 2008
    So you think both the black ones are definitely hens?[​IMG]
    I hope so, so far the roosters are outnumbering the hens

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Build wise, yes they appear to be hens. I see no saddle feathers. You could always post a better picture if you think we may be wrong. [​IMG]

8. ras719

Jun 24, 2008
    How much should I sell the roosters for and where is the best place to sell them? I really don't want them to go to dinner somewhere or some idiot buying them to fight

9. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    You could place them on Craigslist with a small adoption fee... but sadly, most of those will make the dinner table, I'm sure. You won't get much for a rooster, since you get about $8-15 for a laying hen.

10. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    Quote:We've ner had luck selling a roo at all. We have been able to find some homes, but when we get overpopulated and the fighting starts, the pot is always a family favorite. Some have problems with eating their own, but around here it has turned into everyday life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by