i think my hens broody...can i just put some baby chicks in the nest?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by da-cajun-angla, Feb 2, 2008.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    i went outside 2day to get eggs, and my drk brahma wont get out the nest box. i bought 3 chicks yesterday, they're a week old. can i just put them in the nest? one funny thing...my roo is a black tailed jap bantam and is about 2lbs, my brahma is about 11lbs...wonder what that would look like...he likes big girls:lol: any info appreciated. im about to go to the parade in new orleans...so im leaving in a hour...woo-hoo:D

2. da-cajun-angla

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    any1???

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    You can try but watch her carefully. what I usually do it wait until she is asleep and slip them under her. I usually do a special trip around 6am, just before the sun comes up, then I sneak back out about 30 minutes later to see if she is taking them okay.

Im sure others do it different ways, but she might not except them if they are two bigs. If theya re still small like baby chicks she might.

Oh --also--sometime if the hen hasnt sat on the nest for a long enough period of time for eggs to hatch then she wont "believe" they are hers. All depends on the hen.

4. da-cajun-angla

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    cool...thanks for the info!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she just started setting, don't do it now. To be safe, wait at least two weeks to give her chicks so she doesn't reject them. She has an internal clock that needs to be about right for her to accept them. And yes, introduce the at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by