I think my hens have roundworm

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TopsyT, Aug 8, 2014.

1. TopsyT

TopsyT New Egg

Jan 29, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I went to put the girls to bed and discovered some poop with a little blood on the top and about a 2 inch white looking worm. I think it is roundworm as my chickens free range all day.
    Does anyone have any experience deworming chickens? I am heading to the feedstore tomorrow to pick up either Piperazine or Fenbendazole and I would welcome any advice regarding what product to use and how to administer.
    Many thanks,
    TopsyT

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Round worm is fairly easy to see in the stools, but some of the others are not. While Piperazine will only get round worm, fenbendazole (SafeGuard Goat Wormer or Equine Paste, Panacur Equine Paste) will get most chicken worms except tapes. Valbazen will treat them all. For routine worming, 1/2 ml of either fenbendazole or valbazen by mouth, and repeat in 10 days for the larvae. Since you saw blood in the stool, there could be capillaria or hairworm. Treatment for that is 1 ml daily for 5 days in a row. I would probably dose one more time after 10 days. Toss eggs for 14 days after the final worming. Dawg53 is much more of an expert than I am, and he may have better advice.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Five days in a row with safeguard liquid goat wormer given orally will take care of large roundworms and capillary worms. No need to redose in 10 days.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. TopsyT

TopsyT New Egg

Jan 29, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Guys,
    Thanks so much for the advice-much appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by