i think my hurt guinea isn't eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nyxish, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Nyxish

Nyxish Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2009
    Sunday i posted my neighbor's dog got into the birds and ripped up the leg of one of my guineas pretty well. We took her to the vet yesterday, she got antibiotics, we're trying diligently every morning and night to clean the wound and feed her her crushed up pills in baby food. She's not pleased.

baby food pears are ok, right?

My biggest worry right now tho is that aside from the teaspoon of babyfood with drugs we cram down her... i don't think she's eaten. She's alert and aware, still fights like hell when i touch her and has absolutely no problem pecking me now - It may just be pure righteous anger that is keeping her going right now. We can start feeding her a little more babyfood each time, but she fights and opens up her wound whenever we do that...so i'm trying to leave her alone to rest and heal as much as i can.

2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    if she is drinking you can put electrolytes in the water or put about an 8 to 10% sugar mixtue in that will give the bird some extra energy and she may heal faster i hope it gets better [​IMG] goodluck

3. Nyxish

Nyxish Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2009
    no idea if she's drinking... can't hurt to try tho. i'll try sugar in her water, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by