I think my Jersey Giant hen maybe blind in one eye. can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Mar 3, 2014.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    I noticed her just kinda acting funny with her head. She started acting a little clumsy too. I watched her the other day. there was a piece of wood lying in my yard. I thought im going to see if she goes around it or runs into it. sure enough she knda tripped over it. the other day she was trying to get a drink of water and was trying to put her beak under the water until she discovered it was up a little. she keeps her face really close to the ground when she is eating. I tossed a egg on the ground she heard it but took her a few seconds to find it. I know she can see some because she knows when I am trying to pick her up. she is easily spooked now (very understandable). its heartbreaking. I told my husband that's why she us by herself sometimes. I think she doesn't realize the other chickens have walked off. when she hears the roosters that's where she really wants to be. with him. what does this sound like to yall?

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    How is she doing any changes? How old is she? These are a few things I would check for during an exam.

Are her eyes weeping, any mucus build up?

Do all the eye lids function, is she blnking?

Any breathing problems, check nostrils, and inside mouth top beak for mucus.

Any lumps, bumps anywhere on head?

Is there any discoloration like a bruise on her skin under the feathers anywhere on her? (I use a small skewer to hold back feathers to check skin)

Take a flashlight and take her into a darkened room. Let her eyes adjust to darkness and then check both eyes seperately to see if and how they constrict. Then check both together to see if react evenly. Check eyes for any cloudiness in the pupil, hold light in front of beak and look at each eye from side. Also see if there are any scratches on the eye. May have to move light around to be able to see the surface.

In well lit area check her field of view, how far she can see things, does she hold her head a certain way to see things or is she drawn to the movement? A chicken has a very large field of view, why they are so hard to sneak up on.

Vision problems can be caused from a vitamin deficiency, not sure which vitamin. I do give mine vitamin supplements I add to the water 2-3 times a week. Has helped my one hen I suspect to being farsighted ( can't see close objects clearly). She has to tilt her head with one eye looking down to see things. Her pecking at a things I have held for her and her vision is off and she misses.

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    That sounds like mine. she puts her little face real close to the ground and if something is right in front of her its like she cant see it. its like she is scanning the ground. I had grapes for them today I threw them on the ground everybody else was eating and she didn't even see them. I put some right by her she finally noticed them and got really close tot he with her face and beak and then began to eat them. when I am really close to her I can touch her but when I am about 2 feet away and try to touch her it scares her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by