I think my Jersey Giant is.......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NoisyNora, Apr 13, 2011.

1. NoisyNora

NoisyNora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    ..........a Jersey Midget! [​IMG] I got my chicks last Friday, and she is still looking very small. I am wondering if she is younger than my other girls. She still had her egg tooth when I got her. Also her wing feathers had started to come in, but were still covered by the sheath. These are my first chickens, so I am wondering what the deal is. Thoughts? Pics to follow as soon as I am allowed to post them.

~Nora

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have 2 black Jersey Giants that are about a couple of months old. They are almost the same as my Black Australorps and you have to look at the bottom of their feet to tell them apart.

I have read on BYC that they really keep maturing...the roos will be able to be judged by size at around 2 YEARS. They grow very slowly. I am expecting to maybe see a difference between them and my BAs by around a year? I'm guessing.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My JGs were normal sized chicks for quite some time. Then they had a growth spurt at about 3 weeks. And then a growth FLOOD about 6 weeks. [​IMG] Which didn't stop. Now they are HUGE chickens. Mine are not feed store chicks, though; I hatched 'em from Wynette's eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by