1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I think my Mallard's penis is injured...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sjeastling83, Jul 31, 2014.

1. sjeastling83

sjeastling83 Hatching

Jul 31, 2014
    Northwest Indiana
    [​IMG]
    I came home to my male Mallard in the coop alone. This is very odd because he ALWAYS follows my pair of indian runners. I have 1 rooster, 10 hens, a male and female indian runner and 1 male mallard.
    When i walked into the coop, a couple hens came in and immediately ran to him and pecked at his backside. I removed them from the coop and picked him up. That's when i noticed his penis was out and pulsating up and down; almost as if he was trying to retract it, but he couldn't. I set him down and it was doing the same for about 5 minutes. I took him out to the duck pool thinking something was blocking and swooshed his backside around in the water....that didn't help.
    what should i do??

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    He has a prolapsed phallus. He needs to be kept quiet, by himself for a while. Sometimes some KY jelly or similar can help keep it moist. A nice long swim in a lukewarm bathtub may help also.

There are a number of things to try - but a big thing to be concerned about is just what you saw - other birds pecking at it, and it drying out.

You may want to try - if the bath doesn't seem to help - gently pushing it back in. Don't expect it to stay in first try.

If there is a vet you can call on, I would do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by