I think my Marans pullet is cheating...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by alicefelldown, Jan 20, 2010.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I feel like this right now:

[​IMG]

After trying to clean my Marans pullet's egg, that she very unkindly left out in the rain for me:

[​IMG]

I feel like I need to rename her the (blank) of Clubs, the sneaky 'lil thing! She's merely 'painting the roses red' so save her hide!!

[​IMG]

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Sometimes the eggs' pigment does wipe off- but I can understand you want those beautiful dark Maran eggs...Just try not to clean them any more than necessary. They keep better unscrubbed anyway.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Too Funny...

4. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL!!!

we need a picture of a marans with a paint brush and an egg....

5. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:Yep, that's the basic idea. Haven't had any trouble with any of her other perfectly dark eggs. If you want to come over though, and teach the 'lil missy the fine art of NOT laying her egg in a mud puddle then please be my guest!

I just thought it was pretty funny and wanted to share.

6. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    She thinks the middle of a mud puddle is the very best possible place to lay an egg? Maybe she was trying to save you the trouble of rinsing....? Or she found the water Lamaze method more comfortable, organic and natural. After all, she is an enlightened, California chicken. Right? Maybe it was just one of those situations where when you have to lay, you have to lay.....wherever the egg may fall!!

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I can vouch for that happening! Every once in a great while, one of my girls will have an oops and drop one in the middle of the yard, or in their scratch pen, or in the middle of the coop floor. I found one on the coop floor one night quite by accident....crrrruuuunch! Yup! You guessed it. I stepped on it. It went squish. Heart breaking. It was the last egg I needed to fill out an even. [​IMG]

But the very nerve of your Marans! Laying an egg in a PUDDLE?!?!? What could she have been thinking of? [​IMG] No treats for her!!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    I can't hardly blame the puddle on her, the entire run is practically one big puddle - I know we need the rain out here and all, but UGH TOO MUCH!

9. hottexaschick

hottexaschick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Collin County, Texas
    [​IMG] that's tooooo funny.

10. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    One of my marans was too lazy to get off the roost in november- I kept finding them cracked under the roost! [​IMG]

Luckily the hens have now decided the nests are a much cozier place to hang out than the muddy run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by