:( I think my olive egger isn't an olive egger

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Jan 31, 2012.

  1. stone_family3

    stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,926
    23
    163
    Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Mother was an olive egger and father was a welsummer. All the other chicks that hatched laid olive eggs. I bought her prior to her laying.

    Olive spent 45 minutes in the nest and sang and carried on until I had to leave. I came back to two eggs in the nest. I know one is from my sex link.

    How can I for sure know this egg is from her?

    The egg on the left is from the sex link and the one on the right is from what I think is the olive egger. I found one last week just as small and thought it was from my bantam cochin.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. StarLover21

    StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,199
    50
    173
    Oct 11, 2011
    She may just be practicing...
     
  3. stone_family3

    stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,926
    23
    163
    Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Gosh I hope so, I really wanted an olive egger.
     
  4. LaynaDon95

    LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,072
    30
    183
    Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I've heard that some olive eggers lay brown eggs... I'm not sure it's true but I know I read it somewhere. Of course yours won't be like that. I'm just saying I've read it. ;)
     
  5. hippiehen

    hippiehen wastefully exuberant

    376
    4
    131
    Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    My olive eggers lay russet colored eggs - very pretty, but not olive! Do they have a single comb or pea? Apparently the pea combed ones lay the olive eggs.
     
  6. StarLover21

    StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,199
    50
    173
    Oct 11, 2011
    Not exactly. I think the ones with pea combs have a 75% chance of laying olive, and the ones with single are the other 25%.
     
  7. stone_family3

    stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,926
    23
    163
    Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Here is a picture of Olive. Is this a single comb?

    [​IMG]
     
  8. KBlue

    KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

    413
    11
    123
    Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    that looks like a single comb
     
  9. StarLover21

    StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,199
    50
    173
    Oct 11, 2011
    Yes- sorry, your bird is probably a brown egger :(
     
  10. stone_family3

    stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,926
    23
    163
    Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So how do you get an Olive egger? She was hatched from an olive egg, her sisters all lay olive eggs.

    :( I hope she does.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by