1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my poor Penny wants to go broody...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nonny, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The last three days I've had to kick her out of the nest box when I collect the eggs. This morning Tuppence had to climb in next to her to lay, and even after that Penny was still sitting there on the three eggs from this morning. She's staying in there for at least 2 - 3 hours, because I collect the eggs at around 9am and she's already in the box when I look out the window at about 6 or 7am.

The weather is warming up here so I wonder if that has something to do with it?

If I just keep kicking her out of the nest each morning so she can't access it again until bedtime will that do the trick? She's fine and happy once I get her away from the nest, so I don't think she's in need of serious "broody breaking", but it's totally out of character for her to stay in there so long.

It's funny though, when I pick her up out of the nest she's as docile as anything and lets me get my hand underneath her to lift her out, and barely ruffles her feathers when I place her on the ground outside. Usually she won't let me pick her up and has never ever squatted for me. I can only ever catch her if she's already on the roost for the night.

Does being in a warm nest on a hot day make them sleepier?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Nonny,

Hmmm Broodiness is hormonal, so it could have something to do with the warmer weather. It has been so long since I was in Australia, do your days get longer in winter months when your temperatures are warmer, or are you like us with shorter days? Maybe that is a dumb question.

Is the nest box dark? Maybe the combination of dark and warm relaxes her sooooo much that she doesn't mind being picked up?

Good luck with getting her un-broody.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm pretty sure we have longer days in Summer LOL I know the kids get up with the Kookaburras at around 4:30 and it's already starting to get light... the sun sets again around 6pm.

The nest box is pretty dark... there's a small window adjacent to it and the pop door a bit further away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by