I think my pullet has pink eye

summerb123

Free Ranging
Apr 26, 2016
Mississippi
hi I think my pullet has pink eye what should I treat it with and is it contagious should I seperate her from the flock this is the first time this has every happen so i don't know what it looks like so I'm not sure
hmm.png

Chickens get conjunctivitis from respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG) and coryza. They also may get it from other infections or from injuries or pecking. Can you post any pictures? Is there any odor, pus, eye foam, sneezing, or noisy breathing? If the conjunctivitis is the only symptom, then I would get Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel from a feed store, or some plain Neosporin eye ointment, and apply one of those twice a day into the eye.

i will get a picture tomorrow i just noticed it today i could not ketch her i just to slow and she is to fast i'll try tomorrow there in their roost now

It looks like MG, but testing is the real way to find out. I would treat her and any others with Tylan 50 injectable which can be used orally or by a shot in the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. Dosage is 1 ml for a 5 pound hen twice a day for 5 days. If under 5 pounds, give 1/2 ml. Many people prefer to give it by mouth to not cause muscle damage in the breast, or accidentally puncturing an organ. MG is contagious and can make carriers for life. Hopefully no others will become sick.

Last edited:
Contact your state vet or local extension agent, and they should be able to point you where to go. I will try to send you a link when I am on my desktop in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom