I think my pullet has wry neck...help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pretty Birds, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Maine
    I have a 7 week old pullet that I think has wry neck. A week ago I came home and her neck was twisted with her head upside down. I separated her and put her on meditated water (electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamins). She then got better. She is able to partly pick her head up for a few minutes, then puts it back on the floor again. She can eat on her own, and I've been giving her water with a dropper. She can walk backwards very clumsily until she backs into the wall. She has been like this for a week, and has gotten to a point where she's not getting better or worse and I'm not sure what to do...
    I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but she was the only one that hatched in an incubator this March. It was my first time incubating, and I struggled with the humidity, which is why I think only one chick made it. Her parents are a White Plymouth Rock (father) and a Cuckoo Maran (mother). They both came from hatcheries.
    This happened all of a sudden. She was fine that morning when I fed them.

What should I do to help her?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It does sound like Wry Neck.
    You've given electrolytes, probiotics and vitamins - what and how much?

I would give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet human B-Complex daily for a week. See that she's eating her chick starter and add some egg to her daily diet too.

Wry Neck is a neurological symptom - causes are vitamin deficiency, disease like Marek's, sometimes genetics and head injury.

Sequel and Eggcessive like this.
  3. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Maine
    Thank you for your help. I have been giving her Sav-A-Chick probiotics and electrolytes and a Vital Pack of vitamins and electrolytes from Meyer Hatchery. I have mixed them with water according to package directions.
    Should I continue to give her the probiotics and electrolytes?
    What form should I give her vitiamin E? Continue with the water mixture?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would cut out the electrolytes.
    Prick your vitamin e softgel and squirt the liquid out into her beak. The vitamin B-complex, crush that up, add to some food.
    [​IMG]

upload_2019-5-14_7-46-22.png

Sequel and Eggcessive like this.
  5. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Maine
    I will give her the B-Complex and Vitamin E daily for a week. Should I continue to put probiotics in her water?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If the probiotics are just that without the electrolytes or other vitamins, then yes, you could continue those.

Sequel likes this.
  7. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Maine
    Okay, thank you.

Sequel likes this.
  8. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Maine
    I am having trouble feeding her the B-complex. I tried putting it in her food, but she is SO clumsy that she tips her food over and eats off the ground, so I don't think she is getting the medicine. I tried mixing it in water, but it wouldn't dissolve, it would just clump up. Could I put it into small pieces and feed it to her by hand?

Sequel, AJKinville and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, you can feed it to her by hand. It's just a 1/4 tablet, I would crush it up, mix it with a little wet feed and hand feed her.

Sequel and AJKinville like this.
  10. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Maine
    Thank you, I will do that.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: