I think my quail is sick. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Valeriemichelle, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Valeriemichelle

Valeriemichelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    I have a female quail, about 5-6 months old. She is a coturnix. She has been acting weird the last couple days. She just stands facing the corner of her cage and sleeps most of the day. She also laid a brown egg which was unusual. She's never done it before. Can anyone tell me if she's sick? and what I could do to help her. She seems to be drinking but I haven't caught her eating anything yet.

*I also have a male in the same cage as her if that makes a difference.

PLEASE HELP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm sorry i don't know anything about quail.

What sort of egg does she normally lay? Does she not normally lay eggs at all?

I'm sure someone here who knows more about quail will chime in.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Hiding In The Corner, Facing The Corner Thing Is A Submissive Act. If You Only Have 1 Male And 1 Female She Is Likely Getting Abused By An Overly Amorous Lover.... Coturnix Do Best In Harems... 1:3-7

Try Getting Loverboy A Few More Adult Hens To "share The Wealth" Of His Affections.

4. Valeriemichelle

Apr 23, 2010
    Quote:I was thinking that too, she is bald from him, I had them separated once before and ended up putting em' back together when her feathers grew back on her head.
    But why would she JUST start doing that now? They've been together for 6 months.

I keep my birds as pets, so getting more wouldn't be an option. I got rid of 3 quails like a few months ago cause they where a hand full.

I was also thinking maybe she got sick cause I had them outside in like 65 degree (maybe a little warmer) weather. Does the cold really affect them? [​IMG]

5. Valeriemichelle

Apr 23, 2010
    Quote:She usually lays eggs that are white with brown speckles. Shes never laid a full brown one before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by