I think my Queenie wants to go broody on me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tala, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I JUST gave away nearly 3 doz eggs last week, so we're collecting for the holiday baking time, right?

Today I noticed Queenie acting a little funny, nesting in a new place, rolling eggs around and throwing leaves & grass up on her back. I won't mind if she gets broody enough to actually SIT on them enough to hatch them --- as of now she just seems to be gathering them. I didn't think Red sexlinks were particularly good mothers, but I guess I'll find out.

I snapped a pic when she was throwing stuff up on her back:
    [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    She's very pretty!

3. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    My red sex links are among the very few birds I can depend on to NOT go broody.

So stop scaring me!

Just kidding. [​IMG]

4. cowpie

cowpie In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    Dorset,Ohio
    My little red hen has gone broody too! There is no rooster with my girls so she is getting nowhere ...will she give up ?It is getting cold here in northeast ohio and im worried about her not eating enough to keep her energy level up.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't think it's gonna "stick" she doesn't seem committed enough - which is what I expected.

I am hoping that one of my baby Buff Orps will be a good mommy next spring though [​IMG]

6. I have a friend who has a buttercup that hatched and raised 5 chicks this past summer so a certain individual of any breed can go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by