I think my Redstar laid two today (pix)

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
I remember grouching last night because my Redstar, Queenie has been taking it easy these past few days (1 egg in 3 days) but logically I decided it must just be the cooler weather and 10-hour days catching up to us.

Anyway, tonight I go to collect eggs and I'm rather puzzled to find two eggs in Queenie's nest. She doesn't lay in the same box as the other 3 Leghorns.
I get it out into the light and it's neither white nor brown!

10858_596897091831_55007926_34237360_485422_n.jpg

Leghorn egg on the left, one of Queenie's regular browns on the right.
You can't really see in the picture, but the in-between egg is a little speckled looking, especially on the narrower end.
I'm guessing that she laid both eggs, but that the brown color didn't have time to "take" since she apparently laid 2 sometime today
tongue.png

Last edited:
I only got 4 layers though, and 5 eggs. Unless my roo popped out an egg today, there ain't no other way!

This was her first egg and you can see that it's not fully brown either:
SANY0512.jpg

Like you said in the first post the egg just wasn't there long enough to get colored completely.

This is the last segment in the assembly line is the paint booth, probly her day off she had earlier, just got things a little out of sync. she should be back to normal soon.

catdaddy

P.S. Also I'm surprised that the second egg is as uniform as it is, usually they seem to be outa sorts sorta because of the back up from the other egg or I've also seen the sec. egg in the same day be a soft shell mostly. If you even get to see them most of the time they get squashed and eaten.

I've had something similar happen with one of my EEs. She is the only one in my flock who lays blue/green eggs, so the two blue/green eggs I found one day had to both be hers. She had not laid any eggs the day before, and I honestly can't tell you if both eggs were laid at the same time or several hours apart. I found them both in the evening on a day I had been a very neglectful chicken-mama.
I have not experienced the malformed egg described in the previous post, though. Both of the EE eggs were fine that day.

I have had the same thing a couple of times. One of my birds layed early in the morning then again in the evening. I know because I too had an extra egg. Everyone had layed an egg those days and when I went out in the evenings to check on them I always check out the nest boxes and there was an egg, so I believe it can happen but is rare.

Back
Top Bottom