1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my roo is confused--trying to mate with another roo-help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nutty4Chickens, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Nutty4Chickens

Nutty4Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    We have 24, 5 month old cockrels and pullets. Of that 6 are cockrels. The problem is that we have 2 Jersey Giant cockrels that are maturing and going after the pullets to mate, the pullets are still too young to understand what the giants want, and run away. Thats fine, now, we have a Dominique cockrel named Dom that the giants want desperately to "mount". Dom wants no part of this and runs for the hills and the giants don't give up the chase until they get him, and get on top of him. I really believe that they are trying to mate with him because(not to sound gross, but some of his feathers are wet when I finally catch him). Poor Dom is terrified and stays way on the other side of the woods from everyone, I'm afraid he will run too far and get lost. He (dom) is caged at night for his own safety, but they free range all day. Is this normal for young roos and what can I do? Please help, I may have too many roos, I was only supposed to have 4 but 2 ended up being freebies frm McMurrys. I love them all and would like to keep them. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Nothing out of the ordinary there. Roos will mate with other roos. Chickens get confused very easily. For example, I have 2 roosters that free roam with my ducks, and every now and then I'll walk up on them while the rooster is mounted on top of a duck... a male duck. [​IMG]

3. Nutty4Chickens

Nutty4Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    what worries me is Dom is so not accepting of this and runs like mad. Do you think the giants might hurt him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by