1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my Roo needs some training!! Pics!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nuggetsowner:), Jul 7, 2008.

1. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Ok this is our new Buff Orp Roo named Rusty. He is about 15 weeks old and we really love him, but... He doesn't act like a roo!! No attempts to crow. He gets bullied by most of the girls. What is going on?? Am I wrong that he should be starting to act more rooish by now. My Silver Spangled Hamburg Roo was crowing by this age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Should he not be crowing ny now!!!

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Could anyone tell me if I should worry?!?!?

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Just give him time. I would enjoy the quietness while it lasts because if he does start crowing then it will be loud and he'll do it A LOT. Unless you got a lucky one that isn't that bad [​IMG] Just give him time.

5. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    My rooster took forever to crow; he must have been at least 6 months old. Now he won't stop. Ever.
    You sure have a handsome fella there!

6. OrchardLnFarms

OrchardLnFarms Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Bernville, PA
    My 14 week old roo just started crowing this week and all the girls gang up him. So don't worry:)

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Maybe he just doesn't feel the need to assert his
    "roo-ness" yet... give it time. [​IMG] BTW, have you ever heard of "be careful what you wish for?" LOL! [​IMG] [​IMG] (for your roo-to-be!)

8. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    It may sound funny but I miss that sound. [​IMG] We had a beautiful SSH roo and I just loved to hear him crow. We had to rehome him and now we got Rusty by accident. I am hoping things will be different with him and am just alittle anxious.

9. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    He is a beautiful bird--and your son is darling! We are happily roo-less. At least, so far. I don't know yet if there are any roos in our current Araucana chicks!

10. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    You just have to wait. Orpingtons are slower maturing than some other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by