I think my rooster has stepped over the line!

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
First off, I didn't want a rooster... just an accident
roll.png
He was so very sweet though, so I kept him... then he turned out really pretty and I was happy with him! Decided I would breed my silkies in the spring (its all I have).

Well, last week we were out in the yard and my 2 year old brought him an apple core... well instead of just being happy with the snack as he usually is... he fluffs up, puffs him neck and throws his spurs at her. I got running for her, but after the 2nd blow she falls on the ground and he's off running. Luckily she was laughing thinking he was 'playing' with her. So I chase him back up to the coop and lock him up.

Then yesterday I let everyone out of the run, and of course they all nearly run me over trying to be the first one out and my rooster runs at my hand and bites me! Drew blood from my pinky (go figure, his name is pinky!) and then tried to take off.
barnie.gif

I scooped him up and kept him on lock down under my arm while I walked out to the pond to feed my ducks. Hung on to for awhile, if he struggled I held on tighter.

Now my issue is, if he's still agressive and I continue to do this is there any other opinion to get him in check again. I don't know where this attitude change came from... he's always been very good with the kids and let me pick him up all the time. This just started a week ago? I really wanted to breed him, but I don't need my kid losing a finger!

Eye surgery is expensive. If you can't guarantee that the roo will remain seperated from your two year old with a fence 100% of the time, it is time to reconsider your options. Rooster Ravioli is cheap.

Two year olds and any rooster: Welded wire keeps it `cute'. Our granddaughter likes to feed them grapes through the fence. I'd no more let our roo (he's a good guy) out when she's here than I'd toss a copperhead in her lap. Even the easiest going roo can get set off by something as simple as the change of style of one's mudboots. Too much risk.

Only way to be sure:
Visiting0608.jpg

If you want to keep him it be best to be kept away from your daughter.

I love my silkie roo's but would never trust my 3 year old with a roo and her in the yard together. My little girl also loves feeding them through the fencing.

All my roos are really laid back fellows by can be very aggressive towards me.

I found this out first hand while picking one up too quickly when dogs came running he bit into me and didn't wanna let go.

So he fenced for now on sad he wont get to run free for awhile with the rest but he is just too aggressive with me when picking him up I'm trying to save his life..LOL He is a beautiful rooster and throws beautiful chicks so he is a keeper biter or not.

I have an itty-bitty G. Sebright roo, and I'd never let him around anyone, because he is unpredictable. He's got a taste for my blood now, so I never let him out- and I watch my back around him. My big EE roo is new, but he's too fearful and could attack as well just from being scared.

General rule? NEVER let anyone but you get near a roo!
fl.gif

I have kept a few roos past 6 months old. I have found that some:

a) start out with a good disposition and keep it.
b) start out with a good disposition, get nasty and then resume being nice.
c) start out with a good disposition, get nasty and stay nasty
d) start out with a bad disposition and were disposed off in the stewpot, therefore we never knew if they could turn nice.

With small children around, I don't take chances. Either keep the bird in a secure cage or get rid of it.

I think roosters go through an adolescent stage, where they think they are invincible and that all females want them. They don't know their manners yet either. They don't know that you are supposed to bring goodies to the hen and dance for her and ask permission. We and our human associates are part of the flock, as far as this adolescent rooster is concerned. Once they grow up a bit, just like their human counterparts, they are a lot more responsible, better mannered and overall nicer. Maybe.

Our Silkie roo used to be a sweetheart, then when maturity reared it's ugly head, he became a visious beast. I hear Silkie roosters kept in a flock are more of the 'pretty boy' types as adults. Gorgeous to look at, but horrible dispositions.

Don't feel bad. My guy has attacked me several times, and I'm in my teens. It's kind of like playing with a hackysack. He'd charge, then jump, I'd kick. He'd do it again for a few times and then I'd end up kicking him into a tree. He'd get up and run away squawking for all the hen to 'remain indoors while the fight is in session.' He's like a ape.
rant.gif

I'm sorry, is this too much for you?
roll.png

We recently hadout first chicken death after almost two years of owning this flock. For one reasonor another, he seems less threatened and is now starting to accept me ad come up to me. Lack of threats, maybe? I don't know. He's my personal pain in the neck, but I'm starting to play nice-nice and feed him corn from my hand. I think he's forgiving me finally.

There's no diciplining a rooster. It's just not possible. Even I've learned to accept that my little guy is never going to recoil from his anger and the fond memories I've kept of him from when he was a cockerel are just like pictures in a photo album now. They happened at one time.

Not all roosters are bad meanies!! We just lost one to marek's, he was ugly for a little while (his adolescence) and then turned out to be the sweetest little guy. I did not have to worry about him around anyone. He was a good daddy rooster too.
We have a young, pretty rooster with the hens now, he doesn't know his manners with the hens yet, but I was surprised to find that when I reprimand him, he stops in his tracks every time.!!

Back
Top Bottom