1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my rooster is sexually inadequate. couple quick questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cupman, Aug 22, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I hope this is the right place for this topic.

My rooster is 19 weeks old, he has been trying to mate with the hens for a couple weeks now and his tactic is to grab onto her comb and hop on. I've never seen him try to mate with the easter eggers that don't have a comb and it seems when he does mount the hens they are so freaked out they fuss and he mounts them wrong. Sometimes he's hanging off one side other times he's hanging off the other. Half the time he doesn't even get to mount before he lets go or she breaks free. Will he figure it out or is he possibly doing the job it just seems sloppy? I don't know what to make of it because I want to buy an incubator and hatch some eggs some time.

Also I've heard fertilized eggs have a red blood spot in the yolk. Is that true for all fertilized eggs or does that only happen if they've been sat on/incubated for awhile.

Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is very hard for the naked eye to even detect if an egg is fertile, frankly. No red spot in any of our fertile eggs.

A young rooster operates on raging hormones, not on technique or expertise. That comes later as he matures.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    oh cool thanks fellas.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Fred's Hens :

A young rooster operates on raging hormones, not on technique or expertise. That comes later as he matures.

Not unlike humans, no? [​IMG]

You got a great answer on the bullseye to look for in an egg yolk. All of my eggs are fertile, and I've only seen a blood spot once or twice. Blood indicates trauma/stress around the time the egg was forming/laid. Not a big deal, and nothing to worry about.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by