I think my rooster is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by breeze27, Nov 5, 2013.

1. breeze27

breeze27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    I went outside today to let my hens and rooster out the coop and my rooster wasn't crowing, later this afternoon I noticed he was making noises similar to snoring... I went to check on him before he seems ok, he's eating and walking around but not doing his thing with the hens and isn't vocal at all
    I'm worried about him and my vet doesn't do chickens
    Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance

2. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Could the snoring sound be congestion? Maybe he's coming down with an upper respiratory illness? Most people use Tylan, which I believe you can get at TSC. I've not dealt with upper resp. in my birds, so hopefully someone experienced with this will chime in.

I would separate him, just in case, and keep him in a warm area, in a dog travel crate, if you have one, and offer him some extra yummy food, like a mash of chicken food & scrambled eggs. Keep an eye on his droppings - those can give clues as to what's going on in many cases.

If you have any Nutri-Drench, give him a few drops. Make sure he has fresh water. If he seems really droopy, try giving him a little Karo syrup, to boost his blood sugar; I just have to use a dropper to make mine take a little of it, or kind of rub it on the side of the beak.

Keep us posted!

Oops - just noticed you're in Aus. so you probably don't have TSC there. Does your local feed supply sell antibiotics for livestock?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. breeze27

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks guys I read on both and think it could be a respitory disease our stock feeds don't sell anything like that I've driven around and tried 7 different ones who all say to go to your vets, I'm going to call my vet when they open and ask where I can buy it since my vet doesn't do chickens
    Thank you for your advice today he seems worse my poor rooster :(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you can find meds. Some of the ones for respiratory disease to use are Tylosin, Denagard, Terramycin (oxytetracycline,) erythromycin, Spectinomycin, tetracycline, and Lincomycin. If there is a bad smell connected with it, then sulfadimethoxine or sulfamethazine would be good. Denagard is pretty common in other countries than US.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. breeze27

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Th
    Thank you
    You can't buy any of that here without seeing a vet first apparently so will need to find a bird doctor
    <3

7. breeze27

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Good news!!! I went to a different stock feed today to buy pullet starter to feed the rooster and explained to the lady why.... Anyways she said sold me antibiotics for him!! So I've given him some and hopefully he improves soon
    Thank you guys for all your help!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by