i think my rooster is sitting on eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigbuddha09, Feb 19, 2015.

1. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    So i have a young rooster about 4 month old cochin bantam and hes been going in the nesting boxes for a while i just thought because he liked it in there. Apparently though he goes in there and makes a strange sound and i caught him moving a fake ceramic egg underneath him and laying on it, dont know if hes trying to show my pullet who isnt laying yet what to do, or if he just really wants to take care of babies lol. Either way its kind of cute i see him breed the older belgian d'anver pullet but not the cochin mix. Anyways here is a video my friend took of him just before i got home, so anyone's thoughts on what hes doing would be helpful. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Does that bird crow? If not, you might have a pullet. Or maybe he's exploring his feminine side. Pretty chickens.

3. bigbuddha09

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    well he definitely used to crow when he was younger, now that hes outside im not sure hes usually quiet, but he may crow early and just be so quiet i cant hear him lol. There is also the breeding thing which makes me think he is a boy as well. when i saw him sitting on the egg before he almost got that trans like look that a broody hen gets but snapped out of it immediately it was like watching an alien abduction or something lol. his hackle feathers could be pointier too, but im not sure if they are a real indicator or not since i think he must have some other kind of genetics in him to give him some gold on his hackle feathers.

4. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    Ive caught two of my for sure sklkie roos sitting in nests! Lil Jerry was making booing noises.. It was really weird, but cute. Ive only seen them do this one other time.

5. bigbuddha09

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    judging on the fact that the one only goes in to get eggs and when i check it throughout the day it seems to be getting disturbed a lot, im guessing hes in there quite a bit lol

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    That is an excellent example of how a rooster indicates to a hen where he suggests to locate her nest! That is normal and happens whenever a hen gives signals she is looking to start laying a clutch of eggs.

He is a bit young for doing such but looks like how mine do it.

7. bigbuddha09

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    Hmm well i always thought he was a bit smarter then some chickens didn't think he would do that though lol. I guess he really does pay attention to those ceramic eggs I've been leaving as cues haha. I give her a couple more weeks at least according to her behavior and width between the bones on her rear end. I hadn't heard of them doing this before is it rare for certain breeds then or just not a widely known fact. I think he will be a good daddy.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The ceramic eggs are likely not an important stimulus for his behavior. It is the actual nest site that is important.

9. I got a ee ameraucana that mate with one the hens. When she laying an egg. He is inside with her. I know wild birds does this. males will sit on eggs. Wondering if chicken has this same thought?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by