I THINK MY ROOSTER MAY HAVE BEEN BIT BY A RATTLESNAKE1

jillwag1

Hatching
May 28, 2015
Corona, Ca.
Yesterday, I found my rooster under some trees and noticed that he seemed very sleepy and he couldn't really stand up well. When he did he was swaying all over the place. I tried to get him to eat something from my hand. He really likes peanuts, but he just ran from me, which is unusual. I finally herded him into his pen toward the evening and he was able to get into his coop. I think he may have been bitten around the beak area by a rattlesnake because he seemed delirious and so unsteady on his feet. I didn't think he would make it through the night, but I heard him crowing this morning, and when I went to check on him he seemed better on his feet.

Now his beak looks kind of beat up but seems in tack. I think the inside of his mouth may be swollen, he doesn't seem to be able to open it wide enough to eat. I tried his food, rice, bread, chick food, peanuts. He wants to eat but can't seem to pick anything up even from my hand. I haven't noticed him drinking water either. Is it possible he was bitten by a snake and survived?

So, I'm not sure what to do. He needs to eat and drink. The Rooster is old and has other problems as it is. He is the sweetest bird. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to BYC. Is a vet a possibility? Can you look inside his beak with a light? Is his beak cracked? You can try feeding him some electrolytes water with a dropper or syringe, or you can get a feeding tube from your vet, and give him fluids that way. Putting some water into some chicken feed in a bowl to make it runny can entice them to eat and drink. Pictures of his beak may be helpful.

He possibly could be having a reaction to eating poison of some type. I would think a poisonous snake bite would have killed him right away. Good luck !!

We got a little sugar water in him last night. Kept him inside in a crate where he would be warm. Crowing loudly this morning. I will see if he can eat anything in awhile. I will try the chick feed again. Read somewhere that scrambled eggs and plain yogurt might work. Bought a small watermelon, I try that also. I will try to post a picture later. I also read that a rattlesnake can give a dry bite or only inject a small amount of poison. It's hard to say what it was but his beak and mouth area are definitely damaged. His beak is not cracked and yet he can't seem to pick up anything to eat. Thanks for the suggestions. We will see how the day goes.

He's still not feeling very well. He ate a little warm chick mash. Not happy about being in a confined area, but it's the only way I can keep tabs on him.

He's still not feeling very well. He ate a little warm chick mash. Not happy about being in a confined area, but it's the only way I can keep tabs on him. I figured out that the tip of his upper beak is missing and I imagine it's sore. He cannot pick anything up. Not even out of my hand had he doesn't seem inclined to try. How long does it take for beaks to grow back? I don't know what to do about this not eating and drinking thing.

Back
Top Bottom