I think my she might be a he. help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrianaBones, Mar 9, 2012.

1. BrianaBones

BrianaBones Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    hi!
    I've had this chicken for two weeks now, I believe shes about 4 weeks old now. I'm not positive though, a friend bought "it" for me as a gift.
    I was doing a bit of research last night on here, and I started to get worried that I'm seeing signs of roosterdom. It had very few feathers at 2 weeks old, a lot of the tail feathers were just bloody little stumps.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n257/bbainbridge/photo-1.jpg
    http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n257/bbainbridge/photo2.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n257/bbainbridge/photo3.jpg

I'm pretty sad that I don't think I'll be able to keep it. It's a really sweet bird so far. There is just no way I can have a rooster in my current house. Aside from the fact that I just didn't want a rooster, they're illegal in my town.

The feed store it came from claimed all chicks were 100% female too.

can anyone confirm or deny my fears?

2. BrianaBones

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    sorry I couldn't get the photos to show directly in the post. maybe because I'm new?

3. BrianaBones

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    also, I forgot to mention, it's a silver laced wyandotte

4. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    I have to say, "it" is completely adorable! I have had birds that I would swear were one sex or the other turn out to be the opposite. If your friend got it from a feed store, they would have gotten it from a hatchery and I can say from personal experience that the "pullet assortments" from hatcheries usually have at least a few males in the mix. It is inevitable with the number of birds they deal with.
    I cant say definitively either way, I would agree that it does have some "roosterish" features. But "it" may grow up and surprise you [​IMG]

5. chixReverend

chixReverend Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Marana, Arizona
    I have SL Wyandotts myself and could have sworn that they were all roosters when they were young. Now they are laying their first eggs! I'll offer this though, if it turns out to be a roo, email me at [email protected] and I will take him off your hands and pay for the shipping. Need a roo for my ladies.

6. BrianaBones

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    I'll definitely do that Dave! I guess I need to wait a few weeks though before I will know for sure.

7. BrianaBones

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    any other guesses are appreciated while I impatiently wait to know for sure!

8. id say pullet but dont count on my guess

9. spunkychickenmomma

spunkychickenmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Morris, OK
    Look alot like my SLW pullets did at that age. But one week I would swear they were pullets and then the next I would think they were roos. Wasn't definitely for sure until they started to lay.

10. BrianaBones

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    Well your responses make me feel better. There is still hope!

Private Idaho and I thank you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by