I think my silkie is dying! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bamitsbrittany, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bamitsbrittany

bamitsbrittany Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    I have my first REAL silkie and I think she is going to die. She is lethargic and her poop is a little runny. She would eat or drink so I put mashed up food and water in a syringe and fed her some that way. She did swallow. One eye is **** and the other is open most of the time. When I found her she was just laying in the dirt face down wings open. She does look like her friend beat her up because feathers are missing from her neck. She is also hanging her head when I hold her. Idk what to do. I am new to chickens all together.

2. bamitsbrittany

Mar 22, 2013
    She wouldnt* eat or drink. She is also about 4 months old.

3. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Keep her warm

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does her eye look as though an animal (other chicken, predator, etc.) destroyed it, or is it just swollen shut/scabby? Her lack of interest in feed and water could be because she has been injured, either externally and/or internally by an attack. I'd keep her in a warm, clean place away from any other chickens. Continue getting her to eat and drink; perhaps put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water to boost her strength. Given some rest, she may recover, though she'll be missing an eye.

Of course, she may have been beat up because she is ill with something, in which case you need to treat the underlying problem. I would consider getting some 9.6% Corid liquid or 20% Corid powder from a livestock supply store and treating for Coccidiosis. The dosage is 2 teaspoons/gal for the liquid, and 3/4 teaspoon/gal for the powder, given for 5-7 days (do not give vitamins during treatment). It's also possible that she has some sort of respiratory disease, but before treating for that (you would use an antibiotic like Tylan50), I would give her a chance to rest and recover.

Lastly, does she have any other symptoms? Is her crop large and squishy, or hard packed? Can she move her legs and wings properly? Any discharge from the nostrils, or bad smell coming from her mouth?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

6. bamitsbrittany

Mar 22, 2013
    Her eye isn't swollen or gone its just closed. She did open it for me when I was cleaning her up. I am new to chickens all together.. what are the chicken electrolytes called? Should I do the antibiotic before I treat for Coccidiosis? Will the medicine/electrolytes be found at a feed store/TSC?

I currently have her inside in a laundry basket with bedding with food and water. We live in Florida so its still in the 80's here... I don't want her getting cooked outside.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She could have a mild respiratory disease, or something else could be irritating her eye. Is it particularly dusty where you are, and how clean is the bedding (ammonia can irritate eyes if its strong enough)? I would start her on an antibiotic, preferably Tylan50 injectable (it also comes in a powdered oral form, but I prefer the injectable version) or some form of Oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.) You can probably find at least one of those at your average livestock supply store, such as TSC. Most feed stores also sell vitamins/electrolytes for poultry; the ones I use are called Sav-a-Chic. If you can't find them, you can make a homemade electrolyte solution. Below is a recipe, taken from The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow.

Ingredient: Source:

1/3 teaspoon potassium chloride salt substitute
    1/2 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate baking soda
    1 teaspoon sodium chloride table salt
    2 quarts water

Polyvisol infant vitamins (you can get them at most grocery stores) are a good vitamin source, too.

8. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    Did she pull thru? If you ever need help, just PM me....your in Lakeland right? I have plenty of anti biotics and such, or if you ever have a question....just lmk. :)

9. bamitsbrittany

Mar 22, 2013
    She died =/ Yes Im in Lakeland. Good to know! lol Thanks! She was a newly added chicken and she didnt seem right. Always away from the group. =/ Thank you so much. Its nice to have people close! I am new to chickens lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by