1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my temp is varying too much

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BuckeyeFam, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BuckeyeFam

BuckeyeFam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Our power was out for a few hours yesterday and my bator is homemade so I've had temps varying from 80-110!!We're on day 2,do they have any chance??Anyone have any BTDT stories? [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

The 80 is no big deal but the 110 is but only if it was there long enough to get the eggs up that high. If the inside egg temp didn't get above 103 there fine.

3. BuckeyeFam

BuckeyeFam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:OK.Then I'm gonna hold out hope.I've been checking the temp frequently so it probably wasn't at that temp long [​IMG]

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I have read on one of the big ag university sites that temps of 105 F + for even 15 minutes can terminate a developing embryo. . . I apologize I do not have the site address handy, but I will keep looking and try to post it.

97 - 102 are generally accepted as optimal temps for hatching, with lower temps causing delays in development. If I remember correctly, 95 is about as low as you want to go and avoid damaging the embryo.

You may want to make sure you have a thermostat with very small variability, say within 2 degrees. Not all store-bought thermostats will do this, so you will want to check the packaging.

Candle the eggs in a couple of days and you should have a good idea what the story is with this batch of eggs.

Good luck!

5. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:I have had similar problems with my home incubator. I have a 3 year old who on occassions peeks in to see the eggs. She will reach over and turn the knob (temp) so the light comes on so she can see. I have had temps of 108. Did not have great hatches but still had some come out OK. Good Luck.

Is your bator ranging these temp consistantly? That will probably be a huge problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by