I think one came too early...what to do?***UPDATED***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovin'mychicks, May 15, 2009.

1. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Okay, I may have mentioned before that I have never lost a baby! In about 20 hatches never lost one that hatched!

So, last night (day 20) at 7pm our electricity went out. I was horrified:( I stated out until about 11pm but I managed to keep the temp around 90 degrees bu placing towels on top of the bator.

All of my little ones just piped and chirped through it all! I watched one of the d'uccles hatch around 11:45pm and he looked great.[​IMG]

Then I noticed one of my Australorp eggs really rocking and chirping. I looked and it was hatching. It only zipped about 1/2 way around the egg and then poked its head out. I could see blood and what I think was part of the unabsorbed yoke.[​IMG]

I have never seen any of this before! I was horrified. He made his way out of the shell but is just lying there. He is breathing, and churping occasionally, but his eyes are closed and he just flops around. His "navel" is still a little bloody.

So what do I do? Just leave him, get him out of there. I don't want him to suffer. Is there any chance he could make it???[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I had this happen twice this week with Australorp chicks. Leave the little guy in there until he dries out. I kept them seperated until they were up & active before putting them in with the siblings- just in case. They ended up being fine- now they are bouncing around the brooder.[​IMG]

3. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just leave him in your bator. Make sure the other chicks arent hopping around on him.
    I've had a few chicks hatch like that. They usually pull though and are perfectly healthy.
    I wouldn't worry too much unless the yolk/insides come out...
    Just give him a bit of time in the incubator!

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    There's a good chance he'll make it, especially if your humidity is high. If you don't usually open your incubator, leave it closed. If you open yours to take chicks out during the hatch, put a warm damp paper towel over his abdomen and leave him in the incubator.

5. lovin'mychicks

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Update...

I just ran home and checked on the bator. The "early" chick is still alive!! [​IMG]

All of the bantam eggs have now hatched (4) but he is still the only Australorp who has fully hatched, the others are still piping.

As to his condition, he hatched at 7:00 am at 11am he is fully fluffed out, his navel looks dryer now, he churps each time the bantams do and he still flops around. He still has his eyes closed and when I picked him up his neck seemed a little limp.

You guys think I should keep waiting and see [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  6. lovin'mychicks

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Australorp chick made it!!!![​IMG]:weee:weee:weee

I thought someone might experience this same thing and I wanted to share what happened to us!

The chick came a good 8 hours before his siblings. He had a bloody navel and seemed more lathargic than most of the others I have hatched. I was very worried, but he was breathing good (not to slow, not too fast) and was churping.

At 10am yesterday I placed a warm/damp papertowel around his lower body and left him.

At 4pm I removed the towel and it seemed his belly was dryer so I left him, he was then opening his eyes.

At 8 pm last night I opened the bator to see the other BA chicks and he was up jumping around.

I have now stopped refering to "him" as "him as I now think it is okay to get attached. I have named HER Black Beauty as she is solid black with no white undermarkings that most Australorps have!!

She also has 5 other AUSTRA siblings. I did have one quitter. When I opened the shell he/she was dead [​IMG]

They are now all happy in the brooder!! I will post pics soon!!!

***Thanks for the advice***

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If they were just hatching yesterday, wasn`t it a`little early to be opening the unhatched egg? Frequently you will have one hatch 24 to 48 hours after the rest. Do you always quit a hatch that soon? Do yours `always hatch out that close to the same time? Mine always straggle out over a day or two.

By the way glad the little GAL made it!

8. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    lovin'mychicks :

Australorp chick made it!!!![​IMG]:weee:weee:weee

I have now stopped refering to "him" as "him as I now think it is okay to get attached. I have named HER Black Beauty as she is solid black with no white undermarkings that most Australorps have!!

Isn't it funny how we can be unattached to "Him", but if it is a "Her" we become attached.​

9. lovin'mychicks

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Quote:Maybe I forgot to mention that it had zipped and I could see from the outside that it was not moving or breathing. It's beak was standing open, I just hate this happened. I am trying to look on the bright side and the 7 beautiful babies I have, but I have never had a fully developed chick die like this.

I would not have opened the egg if it was just piped I always give them an extra day or two~

Thanks for asking!

10. lovin'mychicks

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Quote:Maybe I forgot to mention that it had zipped and I could see from the outside that it was not moving or breathing. It's beak was standing open, I just hate this happened. I am trying to look on the bright side and the 7 beautiful babies I have, but I have never had a fully developed chick die like this.

I would not have opened the egg if it was just piped I always give them an extra day or two~

Thanks for asking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by