I think one of my babies is about to lay for the first time, HELP!

NewMomma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
She has a dark cone, is making God awful noises sounding like she is growling, and cannot stay still. She goes into the upstairs nesting box, then back down and paces. She has been repeating this for the last half hour or so. I am a new Momma and I need help, I'm kinda freaking out a bit haha...

Thank you so much! And I have head a pallet laid it all day yesterday and all day today so I can see the bounty of all my baby's labor! Such an anxious Momma!!

Well, yesterday was very confusing and kind of odd. Big Momma went up into the coop and was scratching around and scooting, trying to get comfortable and then just stopped. I had closed the coop door because my other two had been all over her trying to comfort her. She came down and acted normally. When I went to check on her "egg," I found a clutch of yellow shavings in the nesting box. I talked to a friend of mine who has lots of feathered babies and she said that she had laid an egg with no shell formed. The look on my face must have been priceless!! :D I'm waiting for the second egg, hoping that she'll have a fully formed one! :D come on Foghorn!!

Sounds like she was just practicing for the big day. My girls have done that too. Waiting for the first egg is agonizing!!! Good luck to you and your girl
yippiechickie.gif

Oh my GOODNESS!!!! I just watched her lay her first egg!!!! Way to go Foghorn!!!!

yay that's so egg citing!! cant wait for my next one to lay! she's 6months old and is very interested in my older chickens eggs! hopefully soon! I'm still waiting..... :)

Back
Top Bottom