I think one of my Buff Orphs is having trouble laying, marks on egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinkarooni, Nov 3, 2008.

1. tinkarooni

tinkarooni Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    I will take a picture today and try to post, I need my husband to help me out with that. What we are finding is each day one brown egg has streak marks down the side. Not certain if it is blood or poo, it's sort of brownish. It looks like the chicken might be straining. What do I do?

These chickens have been laying since around middle of September, although I'm certain this one was one of the later ones to start. Probably only laying about 4 weeks or so.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Since these are new layers, I wouldn't worry too much. What you are seeing is quite normal on new layers. Even a few of my gals that are 3 yrs old will from time to time have a " streak" of some kind on an egg.

3. tinkarooni

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Quote:Thank you. I was a little worried. Glad to know nothing to worry about.

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Are you feeding any black oil sunflower seeds? They help lubricate things up a bit. I rarely have blood streaks on eggs.

5. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    were do you get black oil sunflower seeds?

6. tinkarooni

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    I think that I saw these at Lowes with the bird seed.....does that seem to be them. Will give it a try. Thanks.

7. bipebbles

bipebbles Out Of The Brooder

Quote:i buy mine in the super market where the bird food is

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We feed our chickens a varied diet - lay mash, grow mash, scratch, lots of veggies and fruits and potatoes, lettuce, etc. None of them have ever had any streaks or anything amiss on their eggs. We can't spend alot of money so those sunflower seed things are out. Since the fruits and veggies come from left overs instead of tossing it, it works out well for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by