I think one of my chickens tried to take anothers nest for warmth!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuttyredhead, Jan 24, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Could they be that smart??? I went in this morning (-6 now outside) is was about 18 in the coop. My broody who is sitting in the nest was fretting in another box... and another hen was settling on her eggs! Could it have been for the warmth?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    It was probably just that the second hen either wanted to lay her egg there or that the second hen is also going broody. Either way, sounds like you need to separate the broody from the group, so she and the eggs are left in peace. Large dog crates work well for this.

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:I tried, she went a little nutty. She was panicking in the crate and wouldn't settle down! I will try again tomorrow and see how it goes. Maybe now that she has been sitting on the eggs for a week she will settle right down. [​IMG]

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If you move her and the eggs at night it sometimes helps them settle right down. I would try tonight, just use a flashlight, so as not to disturb the whole hen house. (Last week may have been to early.)

Good luck!

5. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I keep my setting broodies in an isolation cage for their protection and sanity. But, then, I have a controlled breeding program with my roosters separate from hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by