i think one of my chicks is pasting....what do i do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zumachicks, May 3, 2008.

1. zumachicks

zumachicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    i picked up five six day old chicks yesterday...that's the good news. the bad news is one of them has a ton of poop on her bottom and i've read (on byc) that you should wipe it away...right?? well, there was ALOT and it was REALLY sticking and i was able to wipe about half away, but it left a bald spot! the other half is still there, but i don't want to hurt her...what do i do??????

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    There are several ways you can do this . The best I have found is using some veg oil and gently wiping it. You may need for it to set for a few minutes to saturate. You also can use warm water but this I found is more difficult to remove it.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I just had that problem and recieved some great advice right here!! I was told to hold her fluffy bottom under a small stream of warm water to loosen. Then you can use a soft bristle brush or your finger to try to get it off. Also you can trim it off. Then use veg oil or vaseline on the spot so it doesnt stick. It works great. I was told to never pull on it as you can actually pull out their organs:(

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. zumachicks

zumachicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    any concerns about the bald spot???????? and THANK you for the advice...i'll do it now....

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    No it will grow back in a day or two. Good luck:)

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    One of my girls had that problem was shipping....stress. I just used a wash cloth soaked with warm water and held to her bottom, then used a Q-tip to loosen and clean it off. I did it a couple times a day for two days and then she was fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by