1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think one of my chicks is sick. Slow moving, very puffed up feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mama24, May 17, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    It's one of my insane EEs. He's one of the cockerals, and they're fast little boogers who don't let us near them. Last night I noticed one was sitting next to the water with ghis feathers all puffed up. I walked over and he didn't run away. It's been chilly and rainy here. They are about 6-7 weeks old, and it's been so warm the last month or so, I turned the heat lamp off about 2 weeks ago and they've been fine. He felt cold, though, so I took him back into the chicken shed (he was outside, I have food and water inside and out) and turned the heat lamp back on. Is there anything else I can do for him? No other symptoms. His crop felt completely empty, which I have never felt on a chicken before! He was drinking, though, and ate a little bit of chick crumbles while I was watching him. He and the other EE cockeral are my dominant chicks and very skittish, so this is very unusual behavior. Is there anything else I should do for him or just wait it out and see if he gets better or worse?

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    You might try bringing him inside and trying to feed him some yogurt or protien rich foods (scrambled eggs, tuna, etc.) I have turned one around that way. The last time I opened a can of tuna and dunked the birds beak in the water in the can instead of just water - thought I might sneak a little more protein or nutrients in that way.

WHile he's inside with you, check him over for injuries or mites, etc. too.

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    It sounds to me like coccidiosis - very likely at that age. Check the symptoms to see if they fit (excessive thirst, ruffled feathers, etc.) Treatment must be started immediately - I use liquid sulmet, 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for 2 days, then 1/2 that dosage for the next 4 days. Do not give vitamins or any high protein snacks during medication - just the medicated water and crumbles. I can't emphasize enough - do not wait!! Cocci can kill in 24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by