I think one of my chicks is traumatized by what she saw

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srfjeld, May 15, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    So, as some of you know, I posted on Friday that we had a horrible incident when my boyfriend accidentally stepped on our sweetest baby chick while trying to round them up outside to get them back into their brooder. Needless to say she died... thankfully very quickly, but I as I was trying to round the rest of them up there was one I couldn't find. I finally found her huddled down, frozen in a little pocket under the brooder. She had seen and heard the whole thing. She used to be so calm and chill when I picked her up before and now, every time I pick her up she shakes and chirps like crazy. I can't help but feel like it's because she thinks we are horrible, murderous humans. Am I crazy? Could this be it? Do you think she'll ever feel safe with us again? I have tried to sweet talk and coo her while holding her, but nothing I do will calm her down. I feel terrible that she witnessed her friend's death, not to mention that I still cry when I think about it. [​IMG]

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Aww.. My 1 of my chicks, was'nt traumatized like that and started runnign like a maniac when i try to pick it up. I've heard they will be nicer when they are around laying age. Hope this is right [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Chickens DO learn, so you may not be crazy. Just give her lovies and bring treats, and she will come back around.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    It could be that that one was it's buddy. Just be patient. Treats are always welcomed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by