I think one of my chicks just tried to crow.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gindee77, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    One of my EE chicks made the most horrible noise! [​IMG] It sounded sort of like a rusty door hinge or an old man clearing his throat! [​IMG] What made me think he was crowing instead of choking on something was that he had his head held up very high and his neck all stretched out. It sure looked more like a crow than it sounded!! [​IMG]

He's one of the one's I'm almost positive is a male from all the other signs ...thick legs, thicker comb, feathering not as much as some of the others, more aggressive personality, always squaring off with any one of the other chicks.

I'm not positive. Is it normal at his age, he'll be 5 weeks on Tuesday? What does it sound like?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had one crow at five DAYS! It took me a full 24 hours before I realized what he was doing, too. It sounded like "Buh..REET!". Cutest thing I ever heard! Five weeks is NOT too early. My Barred Rocks almost always crow by that age.

3. farmerwannabe

farmerwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Eastern PA
    My 5-week-old roo just did the same thing the other day! It didn't sound that great - but he gets an 'A' for effort! [​IMG]

4. chicken mamma

chicken mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    My banty rooster has tried and tried the last couple of weeks (he's 9 wks) he squares off, braces him self, holds his neck up, opens his mouth wide, and...nothing, no noise at all. Its adorable.

5. greysandy

greysandy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    My 5 week old EE cockeral (that was supposed to be a pullet) starting crowing at 4 weeks, when I put them outside in the coop. When I open the door in the morning he crows and runs around, and then continues for about an hour or two off and on. He might be dinner, sooner than later, if that noise continues. We're not allowed to have roosters where I live.

My polish rooster (free rare chick) hasn't made a peep yet.

Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by