1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think one of my eggs needs help hatching. First timer, advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XxPandaxX, Sep 9, 2012.

1. XxPandaxX

XxPandaxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Detroit
    Last night was the 17th day of incubation. Suddenly I heard a chick chirping inside the egg ! That was at 10:00 last night. It's now almost 8:00 the next day and I think the chick is in trouble. I hear occasional peeping but not like the frequent chirping I heard last night. I haven't seen not one egg move. I candled to see if I could help it out and I don't see any of the 5 eggs that have a chick's head inside of the air sac. I'm leaving to church soon and have no clue what to do. Is this noise even coming from my incubator? And when would it be appropriate to candle the eggs again to see if any progress has been made?

2. beehappy4ever

beehappy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The best thing to do is nothing, you will do more harm than good. Especially don't open the bator after you crank up the humidity. My last hatch there was one that started peeping days before the others and before hatching. I know it is hard to do but trust me when I say it is better to just let me be and not mess with them.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    It is too early to think about helping. Candle the eggs tonight. You maybe able to see movement if, you shine the light from the small bottom end and tilt the egg slightly. Day 19 Lock-down raise humidity and lay on side and wait. [​IMG] Good Luck. Hope you have a great hatch!

4. XxPandaxX

XxPandaxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Detroit
    Thanks guys ! Humidity is cranked up and that lid is stayin SHUT. I guess all I really can do is wait ! Thanks again !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by